Thursday, 13 April 2017

Geekerella by Ashely Poston || Fandoms Meet Fairytales and I'm So On Board


Now here's the thing, right: I am an absolute sucker for contemporary books about fandoms and fangirls! (e.g Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Queen of Geek by Jen Wilde, The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by Lily Anderson) So OBVIOUSLY I had to read this Cinderella retelling, except this one has a hole ton of fandom. And conventions. And cosplaying. Basically everything I love. There will be slight(?? maybe?) spoilers.
I received Geekerella as an ARC from Quirk Books in exchange for an honest review, so thanks to Quirk for sending me a review copy !




- SAGE. OMG. I loved her. She was such a sarcastic, adorable cinnamon roll. She has green and piercings, and thinks she's a badass. Oh and did I mention that she's obsessed with Lord of the Rings and drops references to it every other line?? Me and Sage are basically 'kindred spirits' to quote Anne of Green Gables.

- It's SO geeky. I LOVE IT.

- One of the settings of the book is a convention, and it's great.

- This book doesn't make fun of or trivialize fandom life and fangirls. It's very respectful of how wonderful fandoms are, and how other people in your fandoms can be like family. I really liked that, because so often in pop culture, fandoms get made fun of, and that really makes me upset.

- It was a quick, easy read, and I read it in about three days. I had a lot going on at the time, otherwise I would probably have read it in less.

- Danielle, or Elle, our main character, is a blogger and it's great.

- I really loved how the ballroom scene played out, and also the way he found her and put the shoe on her foot. It was a 'YESSS' type moment.

- The acknowledgements. Now I know these are not part of the actual story, but I don't care. Ashely talks about how magical fandoms are, how they are like a family, and how powerful fandoms really can be. Because I believe that what she says is important, here's part of the acknowledgements for your enjoyment:

"This story would never be possible without fandom. And I would never have picked up a pen if not for fanfics. That was my community, where I grew up- in the midst of flaming reviews and shipping wars and OTPs and AU!fics and headcanons and songfics and half-baked homages to My Immortal. In high school, when I felt sad or helpless, the commenters and reviewers and friends I met in fandom helped me realize I wasn't ever as alone as I thought.
And yeah, there might not be real magic in this world, but there is the power of fandom-- the power of passionate people who, when working together, can birth movies out of canceled one season sci-fi shows, resurrect fictional towns like Stars Hollow, and create endearing fan musicals that will last far longer than its Muggle counterpart- and that kind of magic will never disappear.
So I want to thank you. You the reader. You, who cosplays and writes fanfiction and draws fanart and runs a forum and collects Funko Pops and must have hardcovers for all of your favourite book series and frames for your autographed posters. You, who boldly goes.
Never give up on your dreams, and never let anyone tell you that what you love is inconsequential or useless or a waste of time. Because if you love it? It that OTP or children's card game or abridged series or YA book or animated series makes you happy?
That is never a waste of time. Because in the end, we're all just a bunch of weirdos, standing in front of other weirdos, asking for their username."  



- The romance was SO cliché. I mean, I know it's a retelling of Cinderella, but their entire relationship was based off of text messaging (they didn't even know what the opposite person looked like! And they also never even phoned each other, and yet they were both convinced that they loved each other. Weird, right?) However, once they met, they got together, and then when it cuts to about a year later, they are still together, so I guess things are working out for them. Which is good, because I do ship them. You know what would really have made this book stand out more than it already does?? Making the prince a girl, so that it was a f/f relationship. (That's a good idea for a story. I might write a f/f Cinderella tale one day.)

- Elle was a little...weak. Like, it took her a long time to stand up to her horrible stepmother and step sister, and when she did, it didn't really end well for her because she was kinda weak about it. BUT it's all part of the Cinderella story tropes, and I guess if you are writing a Cinderella story, those tropes are necessary.





Geekerella by Ashely Poston was pubished on April 4th, 2017 by Quirk. Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.
Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but the Starfield
fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise.


So, have you read Geekerella? (HINT: YOU SHOULD) Do you like contemporary books about fandoms and fangirling?? Tell me all in the comments below!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds cute, but yeah, I agree that the romance sounds weird. I honestly don't understand how people can fall in love without ever meeting. I'd get paranoid if someone started seriously flirting with me over the net.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kinda weird. But cute, in the end.
      Same, tbh I'd probably immediately block the person if they started flirting with me over text, especially if I had no idea who the person was.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I just LOVE how bright your pictures are!! And your header and title are genius!! So many fandoms in there!

    And the book sounds amazing! I get what you mean about the romance..that would feel weird to me too (and creepy IRL) but I see it in a LOT of books and movies these days. And actually I haven't read similar contemporary books but I'll be reading Queens of Geek soon and SO EXCITED! Great review :) Hope I get to read Geekerella soon too!

    New GFC follower,
    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww thanks!! I'm glad you like the bright-ness, because sometimes I look at my book photos and think 'IS THIS TO BRIGHT?? WILL THE PICURE BLIND SOMEONE? IS THAT ACTUALLY MY PICTURE OR IS IT THE SUN?'
      Yeah it was weird, and it is in a lot of story-telling mediums today, which is also weird, 'cause you'd think that the writers would be like "Now, if I was this character, would I be creeped out by this? Yeah probably. Let's write this romance differently."
      GAH I LOVE QUEENS OF GEEK. I haven't read a finished version of the story, only the version that was up on Jen's Wattpad, because my library is taking forever to get it in. But hopefully I'll get to read a finished version soon! I hope you get to read Geekerella soon. It's a very fast read, so you should fly though it.
      Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  3. I've vaguely heard about this one, but it sounds so fun!! I OBVIOUSLY WILL NEED IT.😍 Also I really appreciate when books are respectful to fangirls?! Because I've read some that absolute mock us and I think that's dumb because we do so much promoting of books just purely because we love them. FANGIRLS ARE AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it is a super fun read XD
      OMG SAME. I get so angry when books mock us fangirls. Fangirls literally brought Sherlock back from the dead when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed him, and yet we're still objects of ridicule? It makes no sense, since without us, books, and pop culture in general would be nothing. We are the ones who fuel it.
      Sorry for the little rant there. It's something I'm very passionate aboutlol XD

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.