I love anything to do with Alice In Wonderland. The books, movies...everything. So naturally I needed to read this book. Like, major levels of need. It completely lived up to my expectations. I was expecting something a little more light hearted, but this book got so dark I thought I was lost in Gollum's cave. This is not the Wonderland you know and love, this Wonderland is a dark, twisted place, where everybody dies. A place where sickening things happen that nobody knows about, and gloriously horrible stabby murders reign.* Now if that doesn't convince you to read Queen of Hearts, then maybe this will: Dinah(the main character) is awesome, with just the right amount of vice and virtue. I felt she had a bit of an anti hero arc throughout the story(which naturally I loved, since morally grey characters are sooo interesting)
*And yes, it is perfectly normal to love horrible stabby murders, IN FICTIONAL STORIES. Sheesh.
- THE MAD HATTER. No, not the song by Melanie Martinez, THE Mad Hatter. The relationship between Dinah and her brother Charles(The Mad Hatter) was so sweet and adorable. RIP MY FEELS THOUGH. IF YOU'VE READ THE BOOK, YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
- The cover of this book is freaking gorgeous! The only thing that's missing is a map. Seriously, where is my map? There are so many different places mentioned, that I need a map so I won't be perpetually confused on the whereabouts of geographical points.
- The writing style was delicious. I want to read all the books by Colleen Oakes now, just because her writing is that good.
- This book was just so gloriously dark and twisted. Me likey. Oh yeah and there were parts where I had to put the book down, things were so gruesome.
- Wardley/Dinah. I ship this to the ends of Wonderland and back.
- Cheshire was such an interesting character. Like is he bad, or is he good? Whose side is he really on? I NEED ANSWERS.
- The relationship between Dinah and Harris was so cute. Harris was like the father figure she never had and *starts sniffling*
- Mort the Hornhoof. BEST. HORSE. EVER.
-The story didn't grab me at first. I had to read about 50/60 pages before things started to get really good, and I became emotionally invested in the story.
-Dinah was...mean. Like super mean to her sister. I mean, couldn't she have gotten to know her first, before deciding she was a bad person? Maybe have been kind to her? ARGH. Also she whined. Not very much, but enough for me to want to slap her a couple times.
-The King. I know you're supposed to hate him, but gods, I hated so much. I think I hated him more than you're supposed too, which is why I'm putting him under 'dislikes'.
- Wardley was a little bit to perfect. Maybe we could have him do something really bad in the next book.....like murder the King or something. Not that I care if the King got killed....
All in all, Queen of Hearts was fantabulous. Everyone should read it.
HAVE YOU READ QUEEN OF HEARTS? DO YOU LOVE ALL THINGS RELATED TO ALICE IN WONDERLAND? (you're answer is yes, because really, who could dislike Alice In Wonderland) LET US DISCUSS THIS IN THE COMMENTS.