Friday, 3 June 2016

May 2016 Wrap Up || HURRAH Because I Read And Bought Quite A Few Books This Month

                                                                              


THIS MONTH WAS SUCH A GOOD MONTH FOR READING. Which is strange, because this month I've been slowly dying from the amount of final projects for school I've been doing. I don't know what that says about me...maybe I just have a reading super power or something, and I didn't know it. Ah well. *sighs, and turns to stare at homework, then at book that is glaring at me from shelf* I guess a few more pages wouldn't hurt, right??

ALL THE BOOKS I READ THIS MONTH:

-Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater.
ERMAGOD THIS BOOK.WAS.SO.GOOD. I can't wait to read The Raven King(my library hasn't got it yet. Which sucks, but yeah) 5/5 stars!

-Starclimber by Kenneth Oppel.
THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD ENDING TO THE MATT CRUISE TRILOGY. (Which, if you didn't know, was the trilogy that got me into YA books. It's also fantastic, so you should read it.) 5/5 stars

- Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire.
Um...so this book was very convoluted and unnecessarily long. It also didn't help that I wasn't fond of the main characters. But the writing and scenery was wonderful, and Baba Yaga is now of my favorite characters ever(wouldn't it have been cool if the book was told from her POV?! Or even better, how about a book chronicling interesting events and stories in her life, told from her POV. I NEED.) I gave it 4/5 stars, because BABA YAGA.

- Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare.
OH YEAH THIS BOOK TOTALLY DIDN'T DESTROY ME AHAHAHAHAHA. 5/5 stars

- Empire of Night by Kelley Armstrong.
So this was a big improvement on the first book, Sea of Shadows! (which I gave 3 stars) Empire of Night was sooo much better and the action was crazy and ARGH. *screams* If you've read the first book, and wasn't sure how you liked it, DO CONTINUE WITH THE TRILOGY. IT GETS SO MUCH BETTER, I PROMISE. Also I'm meeting the author at a book signing on Saturday, and I'm taking my copy of the last book, Forest of Ruin, for her to sign! SO MUCH EXCITMENT. 5/5 stars

- The Crown by Kiera Cass.
BRB WHILE I DROWN IN MY TEARS. I did a review for it HERE . 5/5 stars
 


- The Trials of Apollo: The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan.
SO I'VE BEEN WAITING FOREVER FOR THIS BOOK, AND I READ IT, AND I LOVED IT. ALSO WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR FOR THE NEXT BOOK?! *SOBS* I did a review for it HERE. 5/5 stars

- The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye.
AH THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD AND THE ENDING ARGH I CAN'T EVEN. ALSO THERE WAS SO MUCH FOOD. SO.MUCH.FOOD. I got so hungry reading it. 5/5 stars

- Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys.
HAHA BRB WHILE I DROWN MYSELF IN A VAT OF CHOCOLATE TO SOOTH MY TORTURED BOOK DRAGON SOUL. *is crying* Seriously, everyone should read this book, as it's such an important story. It should also be a movie. I feel that if it ever was turned into a movie, it'd be even sadder than the Titanic movie was. Maybe because the ship wreak in this book was the worst ever in the history of ship wreaks, claiming over 9,000 lives. 5/5 stars
                                                                                   
 
 
 
 
                               RUTA SEPETYS WHILE WRITING SALT TO THE SEA
 

BOOKS BOUGHT:
I BOUGHT FIVE BOOKS THIS MONTH. This is a record for me, as I never(like almost ever) buy more than two or three books a month.

1) The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig. I was going away for two days, and needed something to read, and The Girl From Everywhere has been on my TBR for awhile, so I decided, 'eh why not'. IT WAS SO GOOD. 4/5 stars

2) Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella. I LOVED Finding Audrey, so you can imagine my joy when I found a hard cover copy, in perfect condition, for two bucks at my local library......

3) The Crown by Kiera Cass. I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH, AND THE CROWN WAS A NEAR PERFECT ENDING TO THE SELECTION. 5/5 stars

4) Forest of Ruin by Kelley Armstrong. As I said earlier, I'm meeting Kelley Armstrong at her book signing, so naturally I needed to buy one of her books for her to sign. There will be a blog post about this, I assure you.
 I'm currently in the middle of reading FoR, and it's giving me major nerve attacks.

5) The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings by David. This book was a impulse buy, as I love Tolkien, and this book is chock full of interesting little facts. 5/5 stars

6) The Trials of Apollo: The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan. AHHH I HAVE ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD FOR THIS BOOK. 5/5 stars.
 

WRITING NEWS:

So this month I released three chapters of Gearbound! I missed a week because I was drowning in school work, but I made up for it the next week with a particularly long chapter.
I haven't been working on anything else, because a) blogging b) GEARBOUND and c) homework. You can read Gearbound HERE .
I'm also preparing the outline for my secret summer writing project. I am DYING to tell you all about it, but sadly, it's a secret. Which means I can't tell you about it until September. MWUAHAHAHA.


FANDOM NEWS:

-SO CIMORELLU RELEASED THEIR FIRST ALBUM, UP AT NIGHT, AND OH.MY.GODS.IT.WAS.THE.BEST.THING.EVER, I SWEAR. ARGH.

-The Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver has *finally* got beautiful book covers! I haven't read Delirium yet, but I'm planning too, as soon as I read the 3277632342 books on my TBR. *frowns at TBR*

- As I'm sure we all remember, filming on The Death Cure stopped, because Dylan o'Brian got hurt. (First of all, that's an outrage. How dare that happen) But we now have a new release date for the film! *shrieks happily* It's set for January 12, 2018. I know, I know. It's like, two years away. But at least we have a release date????
 


- WE GOT THE TEASER TRAILER THING FOR THE LIVE ACTION BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.

- Magnus Bane is getting his own trilogy! And it's going to be adult lit..... *questions this decision a little, because what if younger readers want to read it.....*

MUSIC:
Okay so I found this band called 5 Seconds of Summer........you may have heard of them. I avoided them forever, because I was under the impression that they were boy band, when in fact they are not..they are a rock band. I will fight anyone who says otherwise. My favorite songs are Rejects and Permanent Vacation(because they describe my life.)
 
 
                                                                               

AND THAT WAS MY MAY. WHAT WAS THE BEST BOOK YOU READ THIS MONTH? WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG THIS MONTH?(because let's be real: favorite songs change on a daily basis.) ALSO WHAT IS THE MOST EXCITING THING HAPPENING IN ONE OF YOUR FANDOMS IN JUNE?


8 comments:

  1. Wait. 5 Seconds of Summer isn't a boy band?

    Loving the cover of Forest of Ruins. ;) Giving you major nerve attacks is a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they aren't. Wikipedia, Spotify...everything says they are a rock band, plus the band themselves have said many times that they are not a boy band. They write their own lyrics, play their own instruments, don't wear matching outfits, don't do synchronized dance moves, all of which are things that define a boy band. I'd say 5sos is a pop punk rock band.
      IKR SAME. I LOVE THE COVER. If a book is giving me major nerve attacks, that's definitely a good sign XD

      Delete
  2. Wow you did have a super lovely month with lots of 5/5 books! I think I really need to read Egg and Spoon, even though I've heard (from others and now you) that it's a teensy bit meh, because I am currently WRITING a book involving Baba Yaga and I don't think you can write Baba Yaga in any other way except sassy and awesome. So I need to read all the Baba Yaga books possible because my love for her is immense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this month was a great reading month.
      Yes you should totally read Egg and Spoon! It's good, but kinda 'eh' at the same time.
      ALSO THAT IS SO COOL THAT YOUR WRITING A STORY INVOLVING BABA YAGA.

      Delete
  3. OH. I shall check out 5SoS now then! XD I thought they were just a boyband too..hahaha. I think it's their name?!? Not rocky enough? ahem. BUT ANYWAY! YAYYY FOR SO MANY AWESOME READS, OMG. You've had an amazing reading month!! *cheers for you* My copy of Trials of Apollo has just been posted and fajkdslfad I cannot wait basically. :D

    Also YAY that you liked The Crown's Game. The foooood. <3 I am such a fan. And I agree about Egg & Spoon. It was like a good book, but totally drowning in all this unnecessary fluffing about. UGH. I wish someone would write a YA fantasy about Baba Yaga. I would be SO all over that. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASS DO CHECK THEM OUT. I'M OBSESSED. *clears throat* anyways.
      IKR. MAY HAS BEEN SO WONDERFUL. *hands you cake* I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO READ THE TRIALS OF APOLLO.
      The Crown's Game was fantastic. I CANNOT WAIT FOR BOOK TWO.

      Delete
  4. Okay so 5sos, I have to be honest and say I've never really listened to them, just because I've written them off as "just another teenage boyband". Maybe I'm wrong though, and would fall in love with their music straight away.

    THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE LOOKS SO GOOD, I LOOKED AT IT ONLINE JUST NOW AND IT'S RATED 3.75 STARS OR SOMETHING, WHICH INDICATES THAT IT'S QUITE LIKELY A PRETTY GOOD BOOK. I WOULD DEFINITELY READ IT OMG.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you give 5sos a try, you'll end up loving them. The songs I'd recommend are End Up Here, Permanent Vacation, Airplanes, and Good Girls.

      YASSS THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE WAS GREAT, I THINK I GAVE IT LIKE A 4/5 STARS? It was really good, but slightly underwhelming at the same time.

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.