Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Ten Books I Decided To Eat On A Whim | Top Ten Tuesday

                                                                     


So today I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday for the first time! And the prompt for today is Ten Books I Decided To Pick Up On A Whim . This is very easy for me, as not to long ago 50% of the books I read were books I randomly picked up from the library, cause that's just how I roll.
                                           
                                          *dances around throwing glitter and sparkles*
                                                                                     
 
I've been meaning to participate since the beginning of time......and it never happened. So with out further ado, here are my top ten books that I decided to eat on a whim.
 
1) All The Bright Places by Jennifer Nivan.
I literally had no idea what this book was about. And then one day I prowling the YA shelves at my library, and I saw it, and I was like,
'Oh didn't that book win an award on Goodreads?? Eh why not. I'll read it." BEST.DECISION.EVER. All The Bright Places is my favorite book in the world. It's almost on level with LOTR(but not quite, because LOTR will always be the best)
 

2) The Vanishing Game by Kate Myers.
I read this book awhile ago. I wanted a really creepy story, and so when I saw this book sitting on the YA shelves at my library, I was like 'YASSSS. THIS LOOKS GOOD.' And was it good? you ask. IT WAS GREAT. I highly recommend it.

3) Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer.
I got the first three books second hand on a complete whim. My friends had been raving about them, so naturally I decided that I too needed to read them. They did not disappoint. It's basically Percy Jackson on crack + awesome, and sometimes crazy fairies.

4) Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.
Now this was before I'd gotten a Goodreads account, so I knew nothing about this trilogy at all. I bought it completely on a whim, AND ADORED IT. I love this trilogy sooo much.

5) Blood Red Road by Moira Young.
My library has a book shelf full of books that you can buy, $2 for a hardcover, and $1 for softcover. Every time I'd walked past that shelf, I saw that book calling to me. So one day I decided to look at it, see what it was about. According to the blurb, it was better than The Hunger Games, so I bought it, and ate it, and adored it. However I hold firm on the fact that THG was better.

6) Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire.
This is one I picked up because of the cover. It was okay, but not the best. I gave it 4 stars because of Baba Yaga, who was the best part of the book.

7) Legend by Marie Lu.
I'd just finished The Hunger Games, and I was dying for another really awesome dystopian. Legend was everything I ever wanted.
                                                                                  



8) In Real Life by Jessica Love.
This one happened because of the theme of the book. Girl and boy have been friends online since forever. Girl and boy would like to meet each other IRL. Girl meets boy IRL, they are in love, but can't admit it cause he's already in a relationship. Add bands and music, and I thought it'd be the perfect cutesy contemporary. Sadly it didn't quite live up to my expectations.

9) Mad Miss Mimic by Sarah Henstra.
I read this one because it was written by a Canadian author. It was very awesome.

10) Need Joelle Charbonneau.
This was the biggest disappointed meant EVER. There were so many POVs, and nothing made sense and it was BORING AS EFF. I wished I had loved it, because the concept was really awesome, but the way it was executed was not.
                                                                                    

AND THOSE ARE TEN BOOKS I ATE ON A WHIM. WHAT ARE TEN BOOK YOU ATE ON A WHIM?? DO YOU FIND THAT BOOKS YOU PICK UP RANDOMLY TEND TO DISAPPOINT YOU, OR AMAZE YOU? TELL ME DOWN BELOW! ALSO LINK ME TO YOUR TOP TEN TUESDAYS!

16 comments:

  1. Nine times out of ten, I love the books that I pick up on a whim.
    I've been meaning to read All The Bright Places since it came out, and I keep meaning to read Artemis Fowl too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say 6 times out of 10, I love books that I pick up randomly.
      YAASSS READ THEM. THEY ARE SO GOOD!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful list! All the Bright Places made my list, too. It completely took me by surprise. There are so many books on this list that I have been wanting to read for ages, like Legend and Blood Red Road. Sorry that some of these were a bit disappointing.

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASSS ATBP IS THE BEST. Legend and Blood Red Road are so worth reading! I can pretty much guarantee that they will not disappoint :D

      Delete
  3. You picked up some awesome books on a whim. I was sent a review copy of All the Bright Places and could not put that book down, it was absolutely amazing!!! I can't wait for Niven's next YA novel to come out. I need to hurry up and read Miss Peregrine's, especially now the movie is coming out. Great list :) You can check out my post here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH SO MUCH ATBP LOVE IN THESE COMMENTS XD IKR I LIKE NEED JENNIFER NIVEN'S NEXT BOOK NOW 0_O
      I'm like super excited for the Miss Peregrine's movie!

      Delete
  4. Artemis Fowl sounds fun (love that description!) and I've heard Legend was really good. Someone told me all of Marie Lu's stuff is great. And I always love a Baba Yaga appearance! Love the blog name BTW (yay Mirkwood). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Artemis Fowl is great :D Legend is really amazing too! It's one of the best dystopians I've ever read.
      awww I'm so flattered you like my blog name!(I love Mirkwood too! It's my favorite place in Middle-earth, hence the blog name XD)

      Delete
  5. Yay for Miss Peregrine's! That's a great book to pick up on a whim :) I did the same for Artemis Fowl too, but ended up dropping off after the first couple of books. In my defence I was like 12 and probably got distracted by Harry Potter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Peregrine's is awesome XD
      The Artemis Fowl series gets better and better as it goes on XD

      Delete
  6. I completely agree! I picked up All the Bright Places, Artemis Fowl and Legend on a whim as well. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Another person who's read Artemis Fowl!
      aw thanks! I glad you like my post :D

      Delete
  7. Love your description of Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson on crack + awesome, it's brilliant! I love the Artemis Fowl books!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/top-ten-tuesday-57/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *throws confetti* yay! I'm so glad you loved my description of Artemis Fowl. It's an absolute fantastic series!

      Delete
  8. AHHH I RELATE TO SO MUCH OF THIS LIST!! *flails* Blood Red Road is AMAAZING. Although so not better than The Hunger Games. I actually think the comparison isn't so smart, but pfft, when are books that claim to be "better" EVER better? NOPE. I think doing that just offends fans. Someone tell publicity to STAHP DOING IT. Ahem.
    Also! I read All the Bright Places without knowing ANYTHING about it. But I read it because I got sent an ARC, so technically, I suppose it wasn't really on a whim?? Eh. Maybe it was. XD I don't know. How do we define whim reads anyway?! XD

    Also Baba Yaga is everything. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES PUBLICITY NEEDS TO STOP THAT. I bet there were quite a few people who didn't read it, because they were offended that there was a book that was apparently better than THG.
      I'm not sure how to define whim reads... I think everybody has their own definition of what a 'whim read' is to them lol.

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.