Sunday, 8 May 2016

In Which I Pretend I'm Experienced Enough To Give Valid Writing Advice

                                                                             


I read Cait's post on her blog @Paperfury about How To Write The Perfect Bestselling Novel Of Ever and that inspired me to share some writing advice with you lovely creampuff writerlings(I KNOW THAT IS NOT A WORD. I HAVE DECIDED THAT IT IS A WORD, HOWEVER, SO YOU'LL HAVE TO PUT UP WITH IT) So let's pretend for a bit that I actually know what I'm talking about.

1) DON'T LET OTHER PEOPLE COMMANDEER YOUR STORY.
This one is really important. I've noticed that a lot of people, especially relatives, keep trying to tell me how to write my stories. And it's super annoying, because they aren't offering constructive criticism, they're simply stating how they think it should go, because they personally don't agree with whatever it was.  Example: "Oh don't make your character use a minor swear word! It's going to ruin your story!" It's as if they're trying to replace me as the author.
So I guess my warning is: Don't let other people commandeer your story and try and tell you how it goes. You want to have your cute contemporary story suddenly invaded by fluffy zombie rabbits that swear like sailors on leave?? Go ahead! Ain't nobody going to tell you to do otherwise, and if they do, just avada kedavra their face.
                                                                                      


2) WRITE WRITE WRITE UNTIL YOUR FINGERS FALL OFF AND YOUR EYES DIE FROM STARING AT THE SCREEN.
 

Even if what you write is terrible, JUST KEEP WRITING. NEVER STOP. NOT EVEN FOR FOOD. Okay, maybe for food. BECAUSE FOOD. Also drink lots of caffeine. Lots and lots of caffeine.
 
 
You are allowed to take coffee breaks however.
 
 
3) KILL. EVERYONE.
Okay, maybe that's slightly drastic, but if you're writing a dystopian/sci-fi/action/adventure story thing, you can bet your pizza (don't bet your pizza, because you might suddenly be pizza-less, and that would be sad) that it wouldn't be realistic if 99.9% of the minor and major characters didn't die. Killing everyone the main character loves is awesome. It's so much fun (in a painfully weird way) to make them suffer.
                                                                                     

Or you can kill the main character, and leave all their loved ones grieving. Either way works. As long as your readers end up groveling in a dark corner of their closet, hugging their shattered soul and sobbing, eh?
 
                                                                               
 

4) FINISH WHAT YOU START.
I'm one of those people who sadly finds it really, really hard to finish a WIP. I'll get half way through, and a new idea will hit me, and then I rush off and start writing that idea. I HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN OF THOSE DOGS FROM UP.
 

 It's because of this that I've only ever finished two of my WIPS (the sci-fi one, which I haven't finished editing yet. UGH. And the Carmilla fanfic. WHICH NOW HAS 4.6k READS ON WATTPAD??!!)  When you get these shiny, new glittery ideas, write them down. Have a notebook specifically dedicated to books that you will one day write!
But never fear! There is a cure for this debilitating disease of not finishing. It's called Wattpad. Once you start posting chapters, people are going to expect you to continue! Which means you CAN'T stop writing. It works I swear. So go finish your stories! Be Squidward! You'll feel awesome once you've finished (and then have a minor break down because of editing???)
                                  
                                       

5) WATCH BRANDON SANDERSON LECTURES.
Now I have never read a Brandon Sanderson book(YET! I have so many books to read that I just haven't been able to get around to it) but his lectures on writing are so fantastic! I highly recommend binge watching them all ;) Youtube Playlist Of Brandon Sanderson Lectures

6) JENNIFER NIVEN'S TIPS ON WRITING.
Jennifer Niven is my all time favorite YA author, and her tips for writing are beyond helpful! I highly suggest poking around on her website, and reading her different posts on writing and publishing etc. Very helpful, awesome stuff. http://www.jenniferniven.com/writers/

7) Listen to music!! I can't tell you how much this works! I've found that often times certain song inspirire my stories. This is especially helpful when I've got writer's block. I did a post on lots of different artists whose music is good for listening to when writing HERE .

AND THAT WAS MY COMPLETLY *VALID* LIST OF COMPLETLY *VALID* ADVICE THAT TOTALLY SHOULD BECOME THE OFFICIAL WRITING LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE. ahem.
                                                        


SO. WHAT DID YOU THINK OF MY ADVICE?? WHICH ONE IS YOUR FAVORITE? DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TOO ADD TO MY LIST?? TELL ME ALL!

17 comments:

  1. The title is literally me.
    I'll have to try out tips 5 and 6! This post was actually quite helpful. AND YOU GET AN A++++ FOR USE OF THAT MODERN FAMILY GIF.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found my post helpful!!!! *shrieks happily*
      YASSS PLEASE DO TRY 5 AND 6!! XD

      Delete
  2. *Raises hand* I'm also bad at focusing on one project. Except when I'm not. I worked on my weird contemporary thing, that was originally just supposed to be a quick writing exercise and somehow turned into my first novel length story, for four years without dropping it once.

    Everything else, however...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four years?! wow. That is very impressive. I think the longest I ever worked on something was my sci-fi story. It took me a year and a half to complete lol.

      Delete
  3. Ahahaha. The Squidward gif was me at the end of NaNoWriMo. And coffee breaks, yassss. Can't have enough of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASS COFFEE FTW. Although I also adore tea?? Maybe I should have included tea in that piece of advice 0_o

      Delete
  4. AHHH I LOVED THIS. And this was MUCh more helpful than my post. XD Ahem. But oh oh I love love love those Brandon Sanderson lectures. I binge-watched them all a few months back and learned SO MUCH (plus it got me super enthused for fantasy, which is awesome, because that is SUCH a tiring genre to write sometimes eeek). AND YES TO FINISHING THINGS. That is probably my #1 advice for newbie writers, honestly. You gotta finish what you start. It so helps you grow as a writer.
    HOW DID I NOT KNOW JENNIFER NIVEN GAVE ADVICE THOUGH. I NEED TO GO READ IT ALL. HUZZAH.
    Also: betting pizza is a very bad idea. One should always eat their pizza. *nods* Don't risk the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks! but I do think your post was much more helpful, as you had LOADS more advice. YESSS I'VE BEEN WATCHING BRANDON'S LECTURES 24/7. THEY ARE SO GOOD, AND TOTALLY INSPIRED ME TO START WORKING ON MY HIGH FANTASY STORY AGAIN(which has been going on for like 54 billion years)
      I would never bet my pizza, as I adore pizza. Unless it was vegetarian pizza, which I'm not fond of at all.

      Delete
  5. Haha! I probably wouldn't use an unforgivable curse, but I probably would Stupify them and walk away like a boss. XD

    Writing advice...well, I think it's important to make sure you know your audience. If you're writing a book for children, don't use swear words and sexual content. But if you're writing for teenagers, you might want to consider killing off the best friend or having a little romance thrown in somewhere. Personally, I'm trying to write a book for teens. But because I'm a Christian (and proud of it), I don't want to write explicit sexual content (just...ew.) or R rated profanity. So I've chosen to write for the Christian teen audience.

    So basically my writing advice is this: Know who you're writing for, and write it with your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah XD
      Oh definitely! Knowing your audience is extremely important.
      "Know who you're writing for, and write it with your heart!" I REALLY LIKE THAT. *nods enthusiastically*

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I had to learn about audience and such when I took the dreaded Writer's Workshop class (#HomeschoolingIsDaBomb).

      And lol, I'm glad you like my wording. I guess I tried to use sensory words...also a lingering curse from my writing class......XD

      Delete
    3. Haha no way! That's awesome! What's your favorite thing about homeschooling? And pop quiz: what's the #1 myth about homeschoolers? Lol!

      Delete
    4. hm.....the freedom I have.
      The #1 myth about homeschoolers is that we don't have social lives. Which is completely untrue, I have quite a nice social life, thank you very much lol.

      Delete
    5. Haha cool. Sorry to put you on the spot like that, I just wanted to check cause usually only a real homeschooler knows that it's a lie that we don't know how to socialize lol!

      Delete
    6. haha nah it's fine. I'm a real homeschooler :D

      Delete

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.