Friday, 22 January 2016

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven | Book Review


                                                                             
*cries* This was such a beautiful, amazing, heart wrenching book. You know that book that changed the way you look at the world? That changes your life? All The Bright Places was that book for me. It was funny though. I didn't like it at first. I was reading it and thinking, 'oh this is going to be another one of THOSE books' and somehow it just snuck up on me and grabbed my heart, and then brutally ripped it to pieces and then buried it. I cried my way through the last hundred pages. There were spots where I literally had to put the book down because I was crying to hard to even see the words. Thank you Jennifer Niven, for such a beautiful book.
I always read the acknowledgments of a book, and in the acknowledgments of this book, Jennifer tells us that the story is based on something she went through when she was younger, and I kinda thought that before I read that, because only someone who did go through something like that could write a book like this one with such understanding.
What I don't like is how people say this book copied other books like TFIOS and Eleanor and Park. I hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't copy them. All The Bright Places is based off of Jennifer's personal experience with a boy she loved killing himself, and I think it's almost disrespectful to say that it's a rip-off of TFIOS and Eleanor and Park.

SYNOPSIS: The story of a girl who learns to live from a boy who wants to die.
Finch and Violet met on the bell tower of their school, and save each other from jumping, and things go on from there.

That's all I'm really going to say for the non-spoilerly part. BYE NON-SPOILERLY PEOPLE.






At first, as I said before, I didn't like this book at first. And slowly, somehow, it stole my heart, and that's why it's number two on my list of favorite books of all time(LOTR had to take first, sorry Jennifer) I didn't connect with the characters at first, but later on I really connected with Violet and her love of writing.
I never quite understood what Finch meant by the 'Asleep'. Did he mean he went into a waking kind of coma or something? I was rooting for him the whole book like 'YOU CAN BEAT THIS FINCH!' and then he killed himself(well it's never quite confirmed that he committed suicide, he may have accidentally drowned) and my heart broke. I'm still not done crying.
When they found Finch's body and brought it up and it was all blue and stuff, and Violet was like 'that's not my Finch. I don't remember him looking like that' I lost what little bits of my heart I had left.

So because I really don't know how to review this book, I'm going to list my favorite scenes.

6) The bell tower scene. This was so sweet and it was Violet's and Finch's meeting, and they save each other from jumping, so of course it had to make it one the list.

"I want you to throw your shoes toward the bell and then hold on to the rail, just grab right onto it, and once you've got it, lean against it and then lift your right foot up and over. Got that?"

5) The first 'wander' they went on. It was so cute!

"He leans forward over the handlebars, eyes on me. "I'd go to Hoosier Hill with a beautiful girl."


4) The Bookmobile Park. This was the coolest thing ever. I wish that I could visit one, because that would just be....heaven.

"There are seven trailers in all, different makes and models and years, and they sit in a line with the corn growing up around them. Each one advertises a specific category of books."

3) The Jovian-Plutonian gravitational effect. *sobs*

"But I bring it up to let you know that this is the way I feel right now. Like Pluto and Jupiter are aligned with the earth and I'm floating."

2) The scene where Finch is trying not to fall Asleep and he drives and drives until he's lost, and the gets out of his car and runs six miles, after which he finds a commercial flower growing place, and it's closed though, because it's winter, but the old couple who own it give him flowers to take to Violet for free, and there were violets in the bouquet, and my heart melted.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I'm on my way home, and I just happened to pass your nursery. I know you're closed and you have company, but I wonder if I could pick out a few flowers for my girlfriend. It's kind of an emergency."

And when he gives the flowers to Violet, she says:

"No more winter at all. Finch, you brought me the spring."

1) The scene when she goes to the last place that Finch had left something for her before he died, and she's reading the song he left hidden in the pages of that bible in the Taylor Prayer Chapel. By this point I was crying so hard that I had to get up and drink water because I was so congested from crying that I couldn't breathe, or even see the words on the page 0_o

"I am crying - loud and hiccupping, as if I've been holding my breath for a very long time and finally, finally can breathe."

I don't know if you'll ever see this Jennifer, but if you do, I just want to say thank you for writing this beautiful book. It was pure perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT DID YOU THINK?! TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS! I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS.